GROGGY DOG STUDIOS
Freelance Graphic Designer & Illustrator
2007 – Present
After several years of working out of a home studio, I imagine by now my neighbors must think I’m in witness protection. Every day I get the chance to crank out creative design and illustration work for the children’s market. Books, packaging, magazines, and video games are just a few of the places where my work finds a home. When the kid’s work is at recess, the advertising and branding projects include logos, identity packages, brochures, ads, and apparel.
Create illustrations digitally with the Wacom tablet, which has become my pencil, paint, and paper. With a touch of humor, my style has an animation flair with inspiration from Disney and Looney Tunes.
Elevate designs from inception to completion for children’s books, packaging, brand identity, brochures, and Kennedy Center Cuesheets. I carry each project from concept to layout to final print production.
Provide authors with insight and minor editing on manuscripts. Write headlines for ad concepts and create memorable taglines for identity packages. Currently, I’m writing a children’s book.
• In 2008, The Kennedy Center came to me looking for an artist to create a series of illustrations of White House pets to appear in a Cuesheet for the production of Unleashed. Thrilled with the results, they hired me as a permanent freelance artist and quickly learned of my passion for graphic design. Each season, I design, layout, and fully illustrate Cuesheets for several of the children’s productions.
• Boosted the look and feel of Bluedominoes new Activity Dough packaging with a fresh design and illustrations reflecting the brand. The product and design won a Dr. Toy award as one of the top 100 Best Children’s Products of 2010.
• Shane Harvey Brand Management brought me on board to create dozens of character illustrations for Alpha Toys Alphabeasts. The illustrations filled a 26-book box set and were brought to life in an animated video. The toys and books were a grand success, winning a 2011 Dr. Toy Award in the top 20 of the 100 Best Children’s Products. The toys and books also went on to be part of the toy selection appearing on ABC’s World News NOW as one of the best-recommended toys for the holiday season.
I loved everything about this company and wish my stay lasted more than a few short years. As art director, I researched and expanded creative concepts from inception to completion for the region’s only company that intersected advertising and promotions successfully
under one roof.
Wearing many hats, I ensured day-to-day business with multiple designers; conducted brainstorming sessions; directed freelance photographers and illustrators; teamed up directly with the agency copywriter to create ad campaigns, newsletters, websites, in-store displays, packaging, billboards, direct mail, and trade shows; met with clients to discuss project goals and strategies; worked closely with account execs during client presentations to pitch concepts and sell new ideas; and guided branding standards on each project for consistency through all phases.
Created renderings of promotion concepts for presentations to
Walt Disney World Resort, Disneyland Resort, ABC, Orlando Magic, The Loop, Phoenix Suns, and New Orleans Hornets; rendered photo illustrations for Harley Davidson’s local website and newsletter, plus magazine covers for Bang Vodka and the Ginn Corporation; and created original art for Orlando Magic event logos, vehicle wraps,
self promotion mailers, and LeapFrog web banners.
Wrote ad campaigns and guerrilla marketing concepts for Konami’s 25th Anniversary of Frogger; promotion concepts for BLOCKBUSTER, ABC television shows, and the Orlando Magic; concepts and headlines for brochures, radio spots, posters, newsletters; and collaborated on creative tag lines and slogans for The Loop, Harrell’s Fertilizer, IFC, and the Orlando Magic.
Project Management and Production
Negotiated and drafted production estimates to meet budget goals; met with vendors to discuss project specs, planning, and timelines for delivery; managed quality control and preserved branding; prepared art for print; reviewed production and proof materials on all projects; and attended each press check for accuracy and signature approval.
• Leisure Bay Spa’s entire product brochure was only in the thumbnail stage and very behind schedule when Visionworks acquired the account. After meeting with the client, I designed a layout and full comp, art directed each photo shoot of all products on location, retouched all photos, prepped finished art for printing, and supervised press checks for a successful and on-time delivery.
• Designed advertising campaigns, logos, billboards, promotions, vehicle wraps, posters, and banners for the Orlando Magic. Branding strategies from the Visionworks creative and promotions team resulted in increased attendance and revenue three years in a row!
• Member of the creative team that designed concepts to pitch the
Phoenix Suns. We became their agency of record after beating out 17 other agencies.
• As part of The Loop’s creative team, I designed and produced banners, posters, direct mail, and brochures to announce the grand opening of the shopping center. Branding and advertising were a huge success. As new stores opened, they reported high customer volume weeks before the entire center’s construction was complete.
• Created a successful presentation for Hilton Hotels & Resorts to assist in their sponsorship of the accommodations for athletes in the 2006 Winter Olympics. As a result, the hotel received a boosted response rate that exceeded their expectations.
COSTA COMMUNICATIONS GROUP
Winter Park, Florida
Facilitated a spectrum of design projects for an award-winning public relations firm and design studio.
Developed creative concepts and designs for annual reports, brochures, ad campaigns, websites, newsletters, and posters. Created logos and corporate identity standards books to establish branding for clients such as Florida Citrus Sports.
Includes ads for clients such as OUC, Seminole Community College, and Adult Literacy League. Plus, titles and headlines for posters, newsletters, brochures, creative taglines, and slogans.
Maximized production with local vendors to discuss project specs; negotiated and drafted creative and production estimates; prepared mechanical art for print; reviewed all production and proof materials on key projects; and attended all press checks for accuracy on the spot.
• Designed and art directed an annual report for Orlando Utilities Commission (OUC) that took top honors in a national design contest conducted by the American Public Power Association. OUC’s annual report titled “Reliability is the Name of the Game” won the Award of Excellence in APPA’s largest utility category.
• Created and collaborated on a highly successful campaign for the Adult Literacy League. The total package included an annual report, poster, newsletter, brochures, bookmarks, direct mail, and several newspaper ads. All collateral showcased Adult Literacy League as a resource to recruit volunteers, increase public awareness, and promote fundraising.