• Proven ability to write effectively for web sites, digital detailers, apps, e-mails, video, radio and direct mail
• Advocates strong creative and effectively defends it against influences that may threaten its quality
• Consistent producer of strong conceptual creative and award-winning campaigns
• Develops solid working relationships internally and externally to create the most effective materials possible
• Strong presentation skills that complement new business and creative efforts
• Mentors team member through example and constructive discussion
• Thoroughly understands marketing and medical regulatory issues with regards to creative content
• Proven ability as lead creative on major product launches, relaunches and new indication approvals
• Effectively manages and coordinates group manpower efforts and insures timely creative output
Senior Copywriter / ACD
GA Communication Group,
Chicago, IL, May 2010 to present
Managed day-to-day operation of 20-member creative team while elevating the quality of the product on 15 diverse healthcare brands. Worked to integrate the creative department with a newly formed digital service department. Worked on a broad range of brands to execute numerous print and digital tactics.
Senior Copywriter / ACD
Raleigh, NC, Feb 2007 to May 2010
Helped build and manage a 15-member creative team. Developed and assisted in the agency’s procedural infrastructure.
Co-created the agency brand and played a significant role in landing a majority of the current client roster. Expanded the agency’s promotional capabilities by helping develop the digital services department and lucrative business units to handle medical technology, medical devices, contract research organizations and hospital marketing. Served as the lead writer on all new business initiatives, with a 100% success rate.
S&R Communications Group,
Research Triangle Park, NC, Feb 2005 to Feb 2007
Hired to lead copy development for a launch a major dermatology launch. Overhauled the agency brand to provide greater differentiation among agencies. Helped land several accounts for the agency and created several relaunch campaigns for clients. Was responsible for 100% of the agency’s copy for a 1.5-year period, without ever missing a deadline.
Senior Copywriter / VP/ ACD
Rockett, Burkhead & Winslow,
Raleigh, NC, Aug 2004 to Feb 2005
Hired to build and lead agency’s creative efforts in healthcare. Mentored 6-member team to manage agency’s healthcare accounts. Landed one account before organizational redirection. Wrote and produced retail broadcast initiatives and supported the creation of several B2B technology campaigns.
Chicago, IL, May 2000 to Aug 2004
Hired to lead copywriting initiatives on the launch of major client’s flagship brand (Amgen/Aranesp). Created and managed copy for a major antihistamine brand for Sanofi-Aventis (Allegra), including a major rebranding. Mentored 6 clinical research specialists (fact checkers) who eventually were promoted to copywriters. Provided conceptual creativity to several successful pitch teams.
Columbus, OH, Aug 1998 to May 2000
Hired as copywriter concentrating in respiratory space. Supported large asthma drug (Pulmicort) and launched a pediatric asthma drug (Pulmicort Respules) for Astra-Zeneca. Earned a spot on the conceptual team to develop new ideas for several antidepressants and antipsychotics.
The Majestic Group (now called 5MetaCom),
Indianapolis, IN, Oct 1995 to Aug 1998
Supported the promotional efforts of several life science clients. Assignments ranged from creating professional campaigns for diabetes diagnostic products to writing scripts for pork production consultants.
Meijer Creative Group; Meijer, Inc.,
Grand Rapids, MI, Mar 1994 to Oct 1995
Copy Supervisor/Graphic Designer,
Quality Stores, Inc.,
North Muskegon, MI, Aug 1990 to Mar 1994
Central Michigan University,
Mount Pleasant, MI
Bachelor of Arts, Journalism/Public Relations
Therapeutic/disease state/industry experience
Antihistamines, Antidepressants, Anesthesia, Asthma, Cardiology, Cosmeceuticals, Critical Care, CRO, Dermatology, Diabetes & supplies, Erectile dysfunction, Gastrointestinal, Generic injectables, Growth hormone, Healthcare technology, Nephrology, Neurology, Overactive bladder, Pain relief, Parkinson's disease, Pharma consulting, Probiotics, Purgatives, Respiratory, Sleep aids, And more
Brand experience includes
Accu-Chek, Adcirca, Aggrastat, Allegra, Aranesp, Campbell Alliance, Colazal, Dex 4, Duac, Epogen, EstroGel, Evista, ImmunoCAP, Omnitrope, OsmoPrep, Phospho-Soda, Prozac, Pulmicort, Remodulin, Rhinocort, Rhinocort Aqua, Sancuso, Ultiva, Vitaphenol, Xifaxan, Zyprexa, And more
Clients I've worked with
Amgen, APP, Astra-Zeneca, Aventis Pharmaceuticals, Campbell Alliance, Elan Pharma, Eli Lilly and Company, Fleet Pharmaceuticals, Hospira, Mallinckrodt, Misys Healthcare Systems, Mylan, Rho, Roche Diagnostics, Sandoz, Salix Pharmaceuticals, Shire, Stiefel Laboratories, TAP Pharmaceuticals, Thermo Fisher Scientific, Upshire Smith, United Therapeutics, Valeritas, And more
• Launch/relaunch experience includes Adcirca, Allegra, Aranesp, Duac, Epogen, PhosphoSoda, OsmoPrep, Pulmicort Turbuhaler, Remodulin, Rhinocort Aqua, uKnow Peanut Allergy Test, Vitaphenol and more
• Prolific new business team player; helped land 16 new clients at various agencies
• Multiple award winner including Rx Club Gold & Silver, In-Awe Golds, Globals, Project Management Today Reader’s Choice Gold, W3 Award, Davey Awards and Communicator Awards