Left-brained designer with extensive publications experience blends creative proficiency and editorial expertise.
• Technically skilled, detail-oriented innovator manages and contributes to all stages of a project, from conception through completion
• Highly involved, curious problem solver collaborates with colleagues and clients or works independently
• Self-motivated professional meets deadlines and fulfills multiple projects simultaneously
Creative Services Specialist
OraSure Technologies, Bethlehem, Pa.
Develop medical device brand-specific marketing pieces that include sales and training literature, print and digital ads, trade show displays, presentations, information graphics, brochures, and posters. Coordinate with internal clients to acquire support data and materials to implement, enhance, or complete projects. Investigate sources of scholarly citations. Research and contribute to development of promotional messaging. Interface with outside vendors regarding cost and time estimates and appropriate file preparation for various collateral materials. (Initial two-month contract through Allied Personnel Services, Allentown, Pa.)
• Northeastern Pennsylvania Philharmonic, Wilkes-Barre, Pa.
Spot-color educational booklet and CD label, distributed among 4th–6th graders in advance of a Young People’s Concert (annual project since 2003)
• A Natural Alternative, Emmaus, Pa.
Custom-order flier for purveyor of hand-crafted soaps and toiletries
• Jim Steager/Jasper Springs, Emmaus, Pa.
Logo for singer-songwriter/band
• Dave Reber, Allentown, Pa.
Website and business card for hammered dulcimer player; business card for heirloom tomato enterprise
• House of Lilies, Walnutport, Pa.
• Communication Systems, Inc., Allentown, Pa.
Series of direct-mail cards and invitation postcard; campaign resulted in three new projects and a 12-to-1 ROI for company
Graphic Designer/Associate Editor
Office of Public Relations, University of Scranton, Scranton, Pa.
Conceived, designed, and prepared for printing 1- to 7-color publications, including variable data publishing, as a member of a production team. Maintained and regulated use of university’s graphic identity. Negotiated with staff and faculty from departments across campus. Edited copy submitted for publications. Art directed photographers during shoots. Edited and retouched photos. Co-managed production and executed layout of undergraduate course catalog. Coordinated production with specialty vendors. Assisted with hardware/software purchasing decisions. Mentored students interested in graphic design. Contributed to training of communications coordinator and publications manager. Earned Institutional Advancement divisional commendation for interdepartmental collaboration with the director of the President’s Business Council.
Director of Publications
Chatham College, Pittsburgh, Pa.
Operated as a one-person publications office. Designed, managed, edited, and prepared for printing primarily spot-color publications. Obtained print bids; negotiated with outside vendors and departmental clients. Reviewed proofs on press. Trained and supervised work-study students and interns. Devised and set annual departmental budgets and goals. Kept design of most publications in house and expanded scope of job responsibilities.
Turman Art Gallery, Indiana State University, Terre Haute, Ind.
As a graduate assistant, created promotional materials for exhibitions, including invitations, postcards, ads, brochures, and a catalog.
Office of Publications Services,
Cornell University, Ithaca, N.Y.
Edited copy; helped produce, check, and correct all production stages. Consulted and worked closely with designers and clients in preparing the production schedule and monitoring the publication process.
M.S. in Graphic Design
Indiana State University, Terre Haute, Ind., 1993
B.S. in Communication (Public Relations/Advertising)
Cornell University, Ithaca, N.Y., 1988
• Coursework towards Web Site Design Specialized Diploma, Northampton Community College, 2010–11
• Online course, “Creating Web Pages”
• Noncredit introductory courses in Dreamweaver and Flash
• Photography and software courses toward a Certificate in Media Technology
Silver Award, Alumni Publications; Jesuit Advancement Administrators Conference
Merit Award, Catalog: School with 2,000-4,999 Students; Admissions Marketing Report Admissions Advertising Awards
Award for Excellence, Division IV; American Library Association Division of Rare Books and Manuscripts/Leab American Book Prices Current Exhibition
Award of Honor; IABC/Pittsburgh Golden Triangle Awards Competition
Honorable Mention; Printing Industry Association of Western Pennsylvania
Creating-with-Clipper Case History winner (two times); Dynamic Graphics
First prize, logo and identity package design student competition; New York State Veterinary Medical Society
Greater Lehigh Valley Ad Club, 2010–12; 2011 & 2012 ADDY Awards committees
University College and Designers Association, 1997–2009
American Institute of Graphic Arts, 1992–93, 1994–97
Sierra Club (Environment)
• Designer and assistant editor, Sierra Club of Pennsylvania Northeastern Group’s Northeastern Sierra Notes (group newsletter), 2005–12
• Layout editor, Sierra Club of Pennsylvania Sylvanian (state newspaper), 2000–02
• Outings participant and leader
• Pennsylvania Shakespeare Festival Guild volunteer, summers 2009–12
• Lehigh Choral Union, 2012; Lehigh-Carbon Community College Tri-Cees (chorale), 2010 & 2011; University of Scranton String Orchestra, 2000-08
• Moravian College Community Orchestra, 2009; Marywood University Orchestra, 2008; University of Scranton Singers, 1997-2008
• Student-portfolio reviewer, Northampton Community College, 2010 & 2011
• Technical advisor, Chatham College Communiqué (student newspaper), 1994–96
• Volunteer tutor, Chatham College Adult Literacy Program, 1995
Comprehensive physical portfolio available for in-person review